Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Wait, Wait! I'm Not Ready!

Tomorrow is the day.  Teachers report back to school.  The temperature is in the 90s.  I still have millions of things I wanted to accomplish.  And yet, tomorrow is the day.  It will be here in less than 24 hours and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

However, I am excited just as I am every year at this time.  We have new school supplies (there is just something about a brand new box of crayons that makes me giddy!) and new school clothes.  I went in to work on my classroom this past weekend and a friend helped me move furniture.  (I really hope they have the air conditioner working by tomorrow because it will be a little on the uncomfortable side if not!)

A few random things:


  • I have been reading Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink.  (It is geared mostly to business, but I learned about it from the Scholastic Instructor magazine and found that much is applicable to schools.)  I am currently working on my unit for persuasion and am going to use some of the evidence in this book as my non-fiction text.  Pink brings up the fence whitewashing episode from Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer as an example of the truth behind motivation.  "Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and that Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do."  I will be using that episode as well.  I'll post again once I get all these ideas contained into something understandable!
  • I attended a conference last week and had the pleasure of meeting Neila Connors.  She is the author of If You Don't Feed the Teachers, They Eat The Students!  What an amazing woman!  Have you ever met someone that you just feel like you have known them forever?  That's how I felt when I met her.  She was so positive and motivating that I felt like I could go out and change the world after talking with her.  Best of all, I felt reaffirmed about being a teacher.  I do make a difference and I truly believe that I was called to this line of work.  (Remind me of that come December and I am feeling overwhelmed by all that has to be done!)

So, back to my day with my three lovely kiddos.  I plan to take them to the movies or something else fun to celebrate our last day of summer vacation together.

No comments:

Post a Comment