Friday, August 23, 2013

TGIF!

Our first week is over.
I am exhausted!

I feel pretty good about our first few days, however, and am actually looking forward to planning for next week.  (That is, after I get into my jammies, crawl into bed, and sleep until 10 am tomorrow!) :)

The first day of school was pretty emotional for me.  My 4th grade son went to a new school this year, so I was thinking of him all day and wondering how he was doing without me being close by.  My middle daughter started 2nd grade and seemed to have grown up over night.  My baby started kindergarten (I cried as I watched her leave my room and head off to her classroom.  Her "pack-pack" was bigger than she is!)  As if that wasn't enough, my first class of 8th graders were starting their senior year of high school (many of them came by to see me and give me hugs!) and my principal's daughter, the little girl who took  her first steps in the middle school and whose diaper I changed on many occasions, started high school.  Geesh!

Ok.  So I am a sap!

I am loving our new schedule, though.  I have 3 blocked ELA classes (2 class periods long) and 1 Language Mastery class.  The kids have begun to decorate their interactive notebooks.  I brought in my Sizzix and they have had a blast cutting out the letters for their names and other shapes.  I am working on getting the books covered with contact paper, so I will have to post pictures once they are complete.  My classroom looks like a bomb went off in it - there is scrapbook paper and construction paper everywhere - but we will be done with the decorating part by Monday or Tuesday of next week.

I really do think that this is going to be a good year.  I am looking forward to the challenges of the new curriculum standards.  I am looking forward to working with a great group of kids.
                                   The poster I created that has a numbered spot for each students' exit pass (sticky note. )  This is near the door so they can post and go.
This is the beginning of my advisory board.   I have cupcakes with each of the kids' birthdays, and a "What are We Doing Today?" board.  (It's a Target, 5 frame collage).  I put scrapbook paper behind the glass and added die-cuts of, gasp, Hello Kitty!!  The background is all fabric - I took advantage of some great coupons and the teacher discount at JoAnne's Fabrics.

Here is my fruit crate that I use to hold our interactive notebooks.

So, once I get some rest this weekend, I say, "Let the good times roll!"



1 comment:

  1. Your classroom looks great!! And I'm interested in learning about your new schedule...sounds intriguing :)

    ReplyDelete